Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Its the Dressing!

 I love a good salad!  HOWEVER, a great, healthy, low calorie, high fiber meal can be ruined by simply adding the wrong dressing.


I make a simple Italian Style dressing with no oil and very low (approx. 5 Cal/serving) calorie dressing.  The recipe is simple:
1/3 Cup water
2/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar (I use the white)
1 Package dry Italian Dressing mix (Aldi store brand is my favorite)
Combine in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake the devil out of it, it is great!

I have created my own salads based in my likes and needs.  A favorite Breakfast salad of mine consists of 3 ounces grilled chicken breast, shredded, 1 whole Fuji apple diced, 2 radishes sliced thin (this is for my gall bladder, you can omit it), 1-ounce crumbled feta cheese, 10 or so Kalamata olives sliced.  Top this with a nice splash of the low-Cal dressing shown above, and you have a GREAT, healthy breakfast for under 300 calories.


A favorite dinner salad of mine consists of 3 ounces grilled chicken breast, a handful of baby spinach and arugula, 2 thin sliced radishes (again you can omit), some thinly sliced red onion, grilled corn (grilling it creates a great flavor), 1-ounce crumbled feta, some Kalamata Olives, and I like a few peanuts or Walnuts sprinkled on mine.  Top with a nice splash of the low-Cal dressing shown above, and you have a great evening meal for around 450 calories.


A nice summery salad I enjoy is a beet and pear salad.  Start with a handful of baby spinach and arugula, top with a couple thin sliced beets, a thin sliced pear, a small amount of thin sliced red onion, 1-ounce of crumbled gorgonzola cheese, 1/2 ounce chopped walnuts.  Top with a nice splash of the low-calorie dressing shown above and you have a great 150 Cal meal.  (Add 3 ounces of grilled chicken breast and the total will be in the 300 Cal range)


Salads are a great source of protein, ruffage, and vitamins, but the dressing can sabotage the good.  A typical dressing can add 200-300 calories, so I always use the low-Cal dressing above. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

FRIED RICED Cauliflower

 I am grain free, sugar free, low dairy, high protein, low carb, "good" fats only in my food consumption.  While that sounds reall...