Friday, November 18, 2022

The Holidays...

 Little has invoked as much fear into persons embarking on a new eating & exercising lifestyle than holiday meals with friends and relatives.


Don't fear the gathering, but do remember to stay the course, you need to plan for the event.
My wife makes what she refers to as "Holiday Mashed Potatoes" this concoction is loaded with butter, cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, and salt. (All of which I am trying to avoid) They are delicious but not in my best interest.  I know I can have a small amount OR I can substitute in a great variety of vegetables in its place.  I choose vegetable, but not everyone will; point is knowing the tradeoffs.
A game plan for each event is needed.  Scope out what is on the menu and what you are able to take in.  I know I can have the roast turkey (breast only for me), but ham has a great amount of salt and fat, so that is out.  I can have a great salad and roasted vegetable, but the green bean casserole is out.  The traditional rolls (any my wife makes fantastic rolls) are out, but Keto friendly rolls are great (in moderation).
Mashed potatoes are out, but a small baked sweet potato with lite sour cream is acceptable.
Deserts are a major stumble for many people. "Aunt Glenda makes this great pecan pie only once a year, I HAVE to have a piece" Not wanting to hurt Aunties feelings, you can have a sliver or just substitute in a nice portion of fresh fruits or sugar free gelatin.
Major point is you don't have to have a stalk of celery and a boiled piece of chicken breast as your meal, this will make you resent the gathering an could easily derail your progress; Make healthy, informed decisions.
Personally, I like making healthy choices and seeing what I can substitute in for the traditional items I had my entire life.  Options are great, planning and substitution of items is a game I love!

Bottom line: Plan the day, plan your choices, do not make a spectacle of yourself by making overtly obvious "Good" choices, do not possess the mindset of "Showing them" for your choices, or calling someone out for their poor choices.  This is a gathering for all to enjoy, it is not a time for you to condemn others for their choices, or flaunt your healthy choices, all these actions do is ruin the day for many, make you feel deprived, and simply cause a lot of bad feelings on a day that is to be enjoyed.  
Be respectful, eat smart, encourage others, be a great guest.  THESE should be the goal of the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

FRIED RICED Cauliflower

 I am grain free, sugar free, low dairy, high protein, low carb, "good" fats only in my food consumption.  While that sounds reall...